The DANS Model was tested as a working model in Hamar when Hedmark County wanted to find ways to make Hamar more attractive town to live in and visit. The Open Space method was used to involve the Citizen .
The Open Space is a method in form of a meeting, that enables individuals and groups to become more effective.
- Whoever comes are the right people (the wisdom to find solutions available is in the room)
- Whatever happens is the only thing that could happen (focus on the best possible effort in the present. To not worry about what we “would have done if …”)
- Whenever it starts is the right time (creativity can not be controlled)
- When it is over it is over (everything has an end but in the end we do not know. A subject can be treated for shorter / longer than planned)
If you, as participants discover that you are in a situation where you either learn or can contribute something, you own responsibility to move to another location.
Open Space method is best suited when any of the following conditions exist:
- A truly urgent issue / challenge
- A diversity of participants
- Complex factors
- When there is engagement (conflict is a form of engagement)
- When now is time for decisions “